Heading to the lighting aisle soon? Keep these key factors in mind when selecting your new light source:
- Identify where the light source will be installed in your home and decide if you need an omnidirectional or directional light distribution
- Replacing a traditional 60 W incandescent light bulb? Select a light source that produces ~800 lumens
- Shopping for your home? Pick a light source with a correlated color temperature (CCT) in the residential range of 2,700 K – 3,000 K
- Pick a light source that will last at least 10,000 hours (or about 9 years) and has a warranty of at least 5 years
- Select a light source with high CRI, targeting lamps with 90+ CRI
- Pick a dimmable light source that is compatible with your dimmers!
Full guidelines on How to Choose the Right Light developed in partnership with the California Energy Commission are now available. The Pocket Guide is designed to be printed, trimmed and folded to fit in your pocket, purse or wallet so it can assist you in the lighting aisle!
Both versions are available for download here.